Kids Create: Easter Craft Idea from Glen Ridge Mom

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 11:00am  |  COMMENTS (8)

nancybunny.jpg

Glen Ridge Mom Nancy Breslin is one of my wonderful mommy friends. I love getting invited to her house for play dates. Her dining room table is always filled with beautiful, fun craft ideas my kids love.

Nancy is mom to 3-year-old Alan (see his artwork, left) and baby twin girls. She has agreed to share her craft ideas with us in a new feature called Kids Create. She is an artist herself and an interior designer.

This week, she’s all about watercolor Easter Bunny cards. Here’s how to do this fun springtime craft…

Now, from Nancy Breslin:

I love doing watercolors with my son. It’s not so messy–we use the washable set from Crayola. And it keeps him busy so I can enjoy a cup of coffee.

I also let my 3-year-old, Alan, do watercolors while I am cooking. I have been preparing for Passover all week. I have made brisket and kugels–more food than necessary for my nine guests. I’ve also been thinking of craft projects to tie into the holiday. I’m a little late for Passover now, so here’s a fun Easter project instead.

Bunny Rabbit Cards
This idea comes from watching too much Martha Stewart–my son likes to watch her cooking shows. After the pancake episode, he calls her Maple Stewart.

Alan created a lot of watercolors this week. Though they are beautiful in their own right, I thought I would take them to the next step and make cards we can send out. For all my friends who celebrate Easter, here’s the idea.

1. Have your child do some watercolors on his own.
  2. Print out this rabbit template and cut it with scissors.
  3. Place the rabbit template over your child’s artwork and cut the artwork into the bunny shape.
  4. Fold cardstock in half–I like 8.5 by 11.
  5. Glue the bunny on the front.

Of course, you can try this with any shape or animal. There’s no right or wrong. Just have fun.

Do you have favorite kid crafts you like to do?

1. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  April 09, 2009 @ 11:17 am

This is great Nancy! My daughter is off from school today and tomorrow – this will be a perfect project and Grandma will love getting her bunny card!

2. POSTED BY bloomfielder  |  April 09, 2009 @ 11:31 am

Just fyi — that rabbit template is super tiny. .133″ x .105″ at 600ppi…

3. POSTED BY Liz George  |  April 09, 2009 @ 11:49 am

Awww…looks like fun.

4. POSTED BY Jenn  |  April 09, 2009 @ 11:58 am

I always loved watching cooking shows as a kid. That bunny looks super cute!

5. POSTED BY bloomfielder  |  April 09, 2009 @ 2:23 pm

A bigger version of that rabbit drawing can be found here:

6. POSTED BY Kristen Kemp  |  April 09, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

Dear Bloomfielder,
    Thanks much for alerting me about the tiny bunny rabbit and sending me a link to the bigger one.
    I really appreciate it and will fix it.

7. POSTED BY nancy bresiln  |  April 10, 2009 @ 6:32 am

Dear Bloomfielder,
    Thanks for alerting us about the tiny bunny rabbit, I believe the link is fixed. If you want to make different size bunnies; paste the image into microsoft word. Right click on the picture and click on format picture to resize object!
    Hope you enjoy the project!!

8. POSTED BY sarah1360  |  April 10, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

a similar idea is to use markers on coffee filters (white or brown both work with different results). after drawing a little or a lot with the markers, place the coffee filter art on a waterproof surface and spray/mist lightly with water. the colors spread and mingle and once they dry (15 minutes), they’re great to either cut up into shapes or gather the filter in the center tying off with pipe cleaners to make a nice water-color bouquet.