Post-Baby Bulge: One Mom Considers Tummy Tuck

Thursday, Jul 30, 2009 1:00pm  |  COMMENTS (9)

175px-Various_scalpels.pngMorning sickness, gas, hemorrhoids, back pain and swollen feet are bad enough. Then you have to deal with what your body looks like after the 40 weeks are up.
Even if you get back to your pre-baby weight, you are often left with stretch marks and a saggy belly. This can lead to baggy shirts–maybe even, these jeans, to hide that pooch.
Anne Gorfinkle, a local mom of three is tired of the question, “When are you due?”. She’s not expecting anything but her 18-month-old to throw his peas on the floor. She has reached her goal weight and is slim, but three large babies have stretched her stomach out. She is considering a tummy tuck, but before she goes under the knife, she wants to give it her all at the gym…

“I never had this problem before. I could usually lose the baby fat with out too much drama. At 45, the case is very different. Baby #3 has left his mark. After being told by two plastic surgeons, a personal trainer and one gynecologist that I have a case of twin tummy and will never be able to get rid of it on my own without surgery, I found out how much a tummy tuck would cost here in New Jersey. It starts at $10,000 on up with surgery and recovery costs.
Eeeek, the price is so high! Not just monetarily, but physically and emotionally, too. There can be complications: infections and permanent scaring. These are things I would rather avoid.
I have three small children at home and if something went terribly wrong, what kind of legacy I would leave my family? My obit would read: “45-year-old woman dies of vanity.” Not what I am hoping for.
So to sum it up, I’m going to give Pilates a try. It is designed to focus on the core and nothing but the core. I would not describe myself as athletic in the least, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I will document my progress and see if it works. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Wish me luck…..”

battleofthebulge.jpgHere is Anne’s before picture. Fingers crossed for Pilates.
Have you considered a tummy tuck? Have you had one?

1. POSTED BY Crankinmontclair  |  July 30, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

Call me a prude, but that photo is TMI for me.
    But since you asked – don’t do the surgery. So you won’t look like you did before kids. Stand up straight, put some clothes on and you’ll look like a terrific 45 year old.

2. POSTED BY cmeinmontclair  |  July 30, 2009 @ 5:40 pm

I am a mother of 4 year old twins and I can’t believe your tummy looks this way not pregnant. Is it the way you’re standing, did you distend your stomach in this shot? If not, personally, I would save and get the surgery if experts told you that’s the only thing to fix it. Your confidence & happiness are priceless. I did pilates for my core as well and it did help but I feel like something else is going on in this photo. Start pilates and start saving– I wish you all the best!

3. POSTED BY Aflarfin  |  July 30, 2009 @ 5:52 pm

surgeons perform surgery thats how they make a living.
    They usually tell you to get surgery.
    Just as lawyers tell you to sue, for everything, thats how they make a living.

4. POSTED BY Walter Mitty  |  July 30, 2009 @ 7:38 pm

I thought the reference was to these jeans.

5. POSTED BY cmeinmontclair  |  July 31, 2009 @ 10:00 am

To Alfarin — she said not only did two plastic surgeons suggest surgery but so did a personal trainer & a gynecholgist — I doubt they are going to profit from her getting a tummy tuck.
    Not all professionals are sharks out to make a dime at the expense of someone’s health & well-being.

6. POSTED BY tudlow  |  July 31, 2009 @ 10:27 am

It takes a lot of guts (ha, pun intended!) to publicly post your name and picture here to a rather blunt and overly cheeky crowd. I think it’s commendable and refreshing!
    Seriously, though, it is impressive that you are back at your target weight after three children–good for you. Good luck with pilates and if you decide to opt for the surgery, you don’t have to provide any rationalization to anybody in Baristanet.
    In bocca al lupo!

7. POSTED BY Walter Mitty  |  July 31, 2009 @ 4:32 pm
  8. POSTED BY frankgg  |  August 02, 2009 @ 10:06 am

Creppi il lupo!

9. POSTED BY Kristen Kemp  |  August 03, 2009 @ 10:17 am

I’m a twin mom, and I’m in the same boat as the woman above. And yes, stomachs can really look like that when not pregnant. And even worse–even on a thin person. Get the surgery. Enjoy the results for as long as you can. I’d do it tomorrow if I had the money.