Where’s a Mom to Park?

Thursday, Oct 29, 2009 11:00am  |  COMMENTS (16)

-4.jpgWho knew parents weren’t supposed to park right in front of the school? Like, where those yellow lines are.
Oops.
I’ve done it, though not this year. Have you? Glen Ridge parent Julie Coe writes this to us:

I would like to express my frustration with the Glen Ridge Police Department. They are now waiting outside Linden School at drop off and pick up ticketing the moms.
We pay extremely high taxes are are not provided any busing to our schools, thus, we have no choice but to drive. There are never enough parking spots close to the school, especially on a rainy day, and most are so full of pot holes that you can not park without a 4-wheel-drive vehicle. If a car is parked, it is rarely for more than five minutes to run the children into school.

I called Glen Ridge Police to get the lowdown on this sitch. Chief John Magnier told me only one ticket had been issued as of Wednesday evening in front of Linden school. “But we’ve been issuing warnings like we do every year, then we issue a ticket,” he said. “Usually, one person gets the summons, and everybody else gets the message.”
The main reason for the no parking rule is this: Emergency vehicles cannot get to the school if cars are parked in front of it. “People say they’ll only park for a minute, but then they chit chat,” Magnier adds. “There are designated areas at each school, usually right in front, where a parent pulls in, stays in the car, drops the kids off and drives away. If we keep a continuous flow, no problem.”
Chief Magnier told me his door is always open to people who want to talk tickets. If you make an appointment via email or phone (973) 748-5800, he’ll show you his tickets. “I get them, too,” he says.
This isn’t just an issue in Glen Ridge, of course. Parents everywhere have school-related parking woes. Have you stalled in the naughty zone in front of your kids’ school? Do you think you should be able to do it? Sound off below.

1. POSTED BY Generically named Mike  |  October 29, 2009 @ 11:14 am

That pretty much says it all.

2. POSTED BY Lisa0415  |  October 29, 2009 @ 11:46 am

I feel your pain the same thing is happening in Bloomfield. Maybe they should be out there ticketing the parents that are making u-turns and almost hitting our children..

3. POSTED BY Aflarfin  |  October 29, 2009 @ 12:30 pm

Guilty.

4. POSTED BY ackme  |  October 29, 2009 @ 1:29 pm

OMG, I’ve solved it – what if kids actually walked to school?

5. POSTED BY 13% Annual Tax Increas  |  October 29, 2009 @ 1:51 pm

“OMG, I’ve solved it – what if kids actually walked to school? ”
    In the rain? Blasphemy. It’s the over-protectionism of our children that is really causing the problem. It’s one thing not to allow your first or second grader to walk to school, but it is an entirely different thing for them to require an escort to their classroom. We are talking Glen Ridge here, not Watts. Teach your children independence, not reliance. It will take them much further than anything they’re likely to learn in that classroom.

6. POSTED BY bali21  |  October 29, 2009 @ 2:06 pm

Unfortunately, inadequate parking is a fact of life in urban/suburban areas. Most people park where it is legal, even if that means they have to walk a block or two. They walk in the rain, they walk in the snow, and they walk with babies. Then there are always a few, who walking a block is out of the question. They park in cross-walks, they park at the yellow curb and they block driveways. They blame the school, the police and the residents when they get ticketed, but never themselves for parking ILLEGALLY! Walk the extra block, it is good for you! Take the bus, if one is provided. Better yet, walk to school if you can.

7. POSTED BY Aflarfin  |  October 29, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

Should we just let the 4yo pre-k kids walk by themselves Dumb A**. On nice days, we love to walk to schoold. Nothing better than walking hand in hand with the little one for 15 minutes.
    Any given day you can see plenty of kids walking home from the GR schools.
    BTW if you look it up GR doesn’t have any child predetors listed on the website, however Montclair, Bloomfield, and EO circle us and have plenty.
    Hey Stu stay in Montclair, than you have no worries. But from what I read you are into moving to GR to get to the schools. With a statement like It is GR, we dont need ya.
    The school listed, Linden. is Prek-grade 2
    GR does not have bus service except for special needs.

8. POSTED BY Aflarfin  |  October 29, 2009 @ 3:07 pm

BTW
    Plenty of us dads walk/drive the kids to school.

9. POSTED BY mandy939  |  October 29, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

THANK YOU MPD!!!!!
    Thanks for also starting to ticket around Woodman Field!!!

10. POSTED BY 13% Annual Tax Increas  |  October 29, 2009 @ 3:23 pm

Read my post again Aflarfin.
    “It’s one thing not to allow your first or second grader to walk to school, but it is an entirely different thing for them to require an escort to their classroom.”

11. POSTED BY Aflarfin  |  October 29, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

I read it and still don’t understand.
    Are you saying its foolish to protect the kids.
    All parents need to sign in to gain access to the school.
    I for one don’t want just random people walking around a prek to grade 2 school.
    I’m happy they escort the kids in and out of school. Too many crazy people out there. They are looking out for our kids.
    Then if something happens everybody would say “where were the escorts?”. Its an ounce of prevention.

12. POSTED BY 13% Annual Tax Increas  |  October 29, 2009 @ 3:53 pm

I was speaking in the context of the article in which parents feel they can break the law in an effort to escort their children into the school in the name of crime prevention. Call me old school I suppose, but I’d be more worried about other parents than a stranger. Too often these crazies you were talking about end up being your neighbors. Some of us choose not to live in fear.

13. POSTED BY Aflarfin  |  October 29, 2009 @ 4:05 pm

Most parents fear for the saftey of their kids.
    And fear of the other parents is also why you drop your kid off and walk them to the door into the hands of the teacher.
    Agreed, crazies come in all shapes and sizes.
    FETO.
    When I parked there, I know I’m breaking the law, and risk it. Just like when I speed on the highway there is a chance I’ll get a speeding ticket.

14. POSTED BY BaristaPet  |  October 29, 2009 @ 7:45 pm

…just parking for a quick 3 minutes to walk their little one in to school, rather than walk the big, long, cold, leafy block… all the while the fire truck can’t get to the school to put out a sudden blaze?
    Guess what is quicker… mommy or daddy with a distracted child, backpack, other parents to chat to, other kids to distract your own.. or FIRE!

15. POSTED BY 13% Annual Tax Increas  |  October 29, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

Aflarfin appears to feel that he is above the law. This is a very selfish stand that was reinforced by his earlier comments directed my way.
    I hope the child you mow down when you ‘choose’ to speed is not one of your own.

16. POSTED BY ackme  |  October 29, 2009 @ 10:40 pm

Actually Dumb A** I walked to school when I was 4. As an added measure of protection, probably best to wrap your kids in bubble wrap in case they fall getting out of the car.