Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

BY  |  Tuesday, Nov 23, 2010 1:00pm  |  COMMENTS (5)

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade has become a part of the American tradition. Most of us watch it while we’re slumped on our couches filled with turkey, sweet potatoes and lots of pie. But some families brave the weather and crowds and see it in person, standing in awe underneath those huge inflatable balloons.

The Costantino family from Glen Ridge will be doing just that on Thursday. Patti, the mom, scored some tickets to a grandstand at the starting line. I can’t think of a better way to watch the parade than that. Most of us aren’t that lucky, but experiencing the parade is something we all should do once in our lives. I haven’t yet, but I’d like to one day–when I can score a spot in a grandstand like Patti.

You don’t need tickets to see the parade. Details are all you need:

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
Who:
Anyone who loves a parade.
What: Macy’s 84th annual Thanksgiving Day Parade!
Where: Parade begins at 77th Street and Central Park West, turns east onto Central Park South, turns down 7th Avenue to 42nd Street and then across to 6th Avenue where it heads downtown to Herald Square, ending at 34th Street and 7th Avenue.
When: Thursday, November 25 from 9 am – 12 pm.
Cost: Free. Get all the details and more information here.

There’s a way to see the balloons before the parade. On Wednesday, November 24, they inflate the balloons on 77th and 81st streets  between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue from 3 pm – 10 pm. You can get to see the balloons as they are being inflated.

(Photo: Wikipedia)

1. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  November 23, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

Since the parade starts at 9am, perhaps “most of us” DON’T watch it “slumped on our couches filled with turkey, sweet potatoes and lots of pie.”

But I await your post on the benefits of the 6am Thanksgiving Day Dinner!!!

2. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  November 23, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

(Though with Shrek staring at me, I’m wondering if maybe I SHOULD eat earlier so I can RUN from his Green ass…)

3. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  November 24, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

“Most of us watch it while we’re slumped on our couches filled with turkey, sweet potatoes and lots of pie.” Are you sure MOST of us, or is it just the Gilmore Turkey Dinner for Breakfast tradition???

4. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  November 24, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

You got me Jimmytown. I have already started to eat pie. Ill be eating Thanksgiving food from now until Sunday night.

This Gilmore loves her some Thanksgiving.

5. POSTED BY Jimmytown  |  November 25, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

Thats awesome Georgette! I’ll pick up that tradition next year!