My family enjoyed the festivities last year, after my husband ran the annual 5k. We had a great time and met the nicest people. This year promises to even better, with a cool Wave the Flag, interactive family art project.
Here’s the schedule of the day’s festivities:
- 7:45 am: assemble in Ricalton Square for 8 am Opening Ceremonies.
- 8:15 am: Everything Push, Pedal or Pull parade: red, white & blue decorated bikes, toddlers, skaters. Neighborhood groups
and organizations invited to create original theme entries.
- 9 to 9:40 am: Fourth of July 5K Run starts and finishes on Oakview Avenue near Skate House. Races at the athletic field opposite Town Hall.
- 10 am: Wave The Flag VFW & 1978 kid’s art project. Downhill from Maplewood Station.
- 11 am: Ice Cream Eating Contests presented by Maplewood Rotary. Picnic area next to playground (Maplewood residents K-12 & Adults).
- 11:30 am: Baking Contest (all ages Maplewood residents. Entries must be at Town Hall between 9 and 9:30 am)
- 12 pm: Pet Show, Main Library (all types, all sizes; Maplewood residents) presented by Jersey Animal Coalition.
- 12 pm – 3 pm: Adult Softball at athletic field opposite Town Hall.
- 12 pm: Kids’ Percussion Forest by Jamie Ross at downhill from RR station.
- 1 pm, 3:30 pm and 6 pm: Zerbini Family Circus under the big top, rain or shine. First come first served — No reserved seats, seating
limited, line up early!
- 4 pm: Live music until fireworks: local young and adult bands, on lawn opposite town hall. Ice cream on sale; hotdogs etc. and soda sold
by Boy Scout Troop 5.
- 9 pm: Fireworks! Come early, times approximate.