Ask Holly: Duct Tape Craft Madness

BY  |  Thursday, Jul 07, 2011 12:30pm  |  COMMENTS (9)

Making accessories with duct tape….who knew? Not me. If I had the forethought to make different colored duct tape that people would actually buy rolls and rolls of for their kids to make jewelry–let me tell you–I would not be writing about how to make them. I would be enjoying my summer on a boat wearing a white linen dress with servants, lots of servants, with no whining. Yes, I would. Dang, where was I? Ah yes, how to make a duct tape craft.

Before you start, these things are all easy to make for children ages 5-6 and up. Just work with them in the beginning to cut, rip, tear, whatever until you get the feel for it. The best part is that playing with duct tape keeps them busy and away.

Here’s what you will need:

• Different colored duct tape
  • Twist ties, floral wire or those twisty bits that hold toys in their box making it virtually impossible to get them out of the box
  • Scissors or a utility knife (do not let your children use the knife)

For a Small Bracelet, A Wide Cuff, A Bow and A Flower

Step One:
For a Small Bracelet- Cut a 8″ piece of tape with a square notch cut at the end. Triple fold it sticky side in and use the tab at the end to fasten. (top picture in step two)
For a Large Cuff-  Cut one 8″ piece of tape and one 8.5″ piece of tape and stick them together as closely as you can sticky sides together. Fasten with the 1/2 piece that is exposed.
For Bow- Make one large cuff and one 4″ small bracelet
For Flower – Make one small bracelet and set aside. Cut out six 3″ pieces of tape, stick a twist tie in the middle of the tape (top) and fold over (bottom)

Step Two:
For Wide Cuff- You can finish off with another pattern of tape to fasten as well.
For Bow- Wrap a shorter version of the small bracelet around the middle of the wide cuff (pictured below) Fasten to barrettes, headband or bracelets with a looped (sticky side out) piece of tape.
For Flower- Cut the square piece of tape on the twist tie into a heart or petal shape with scissors. Take the small bracelet and put a twist tie in the middle of the sticky tab and roll inward to make a rose bud shape (pictured below).

Step Three:
For Flower- twist petals around rose bud middle and arrange them so they look fun. Since they are wired you can twist and move them around. Wrap tape around the twist tie “stem” to give it a more finished look.
Braided Bracelet- Cut a cuff bracelet into 1/4″ strips and wrap a small piece of tape around the end of 3 strips. Braid the strips and secure with tape at the end.

Colored duct tape available at A.C Moore and Michaels

And when the fad passes, think of how nice your poorly executed home repairs will look with leopard duct tape. Hot. Smoking hot I tell you.

Questions? Just Ask Holly in comments.

1. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  July 07, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

I had NO idea that duct tape came in these funky patterns and styles–how groovy. My daughter would love making her own jewelry and I think this is much edgier than those blase ol’ friendship bracelets.

As an aside, did you at any time in your life think it was called duck tape? I know someone who in his late 30s realized that it was not tape named after a duck–it was quite an epiphany for him.

But wait…I just googled this and it was originally called DUCK tape! Who new!

2. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  July 07, 2011 @ 8:31 pm

Cool link Tudlow! I used to call it Duck Tape too.

3. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  July 07, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

Thanks, GG! Oh my, I just realized I wrote new instead of knew. I don’t even no, I mean know, what I’m talking about anymore.

4. POSTED BY johnleesandiego  |  July 08, 2011 @ 7:05 am

I have a float idea ! :D

5. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  July 08, 2011 @ 11:05 am

For one Duck Tape? Why would ducks need tape? And or why would one need to tape a duck?

Tud- Tip for you we have made some super styling Amer Girl Doll accesories with this tape made from ducks. Bows….even a dress made from felt and held together with hot pink zebra duct tape.

Another tip the tape come in all colors and tons of patterns ( boy stuff too) Checkerboard, tie dye, camouflage to name a few. If you walk in the front door to AC Moore they have a huge pile in a bin.

6. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 08, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Well, what do you know. It is Duck tape? That’s what I’m calling it for now on. Thanks Tud.

7. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  August 14, 2011 @ 7:39 pm

Hi Holly! We used our time on this rainy day wisely. The whole fam is sporting duct (duck) tape bracelets. We be stylin’.

8. POSTED BY hollykorus  |  August 14, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

Love it! I spread some duct tape madness up in the Adirondacks this weekend. I believe American Royal hardware is now carrying some funky colored duct tape. I also told the whole crew your duck tape info. They now think I’m smart…shhhhhhh.

9. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  August 15, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Holly, you’re an artsy-craftsy genius.