FDA Warns Against Spray Sunscreens For Children

BY  |  Thursday, Jul 28, 2011 12:50pm  |  COMMENTS (12)

Damn, The $24 I just spent for two bottles of Neutrogena Kids Spray sunscreen for my girls was a waste.

The Food and Drug Administration has announced that it was investigating the potential risks of spray sunscreens. The fear is that  people, especially children, can breathe in the sunscreen as it is being applied.

Consumer Reports recommends that parents do not use spray sunscreen on children and take caution when applying it to themselves.

Do you use spray sunscreen on your children? Will you continue to?

1. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  July 28, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

“Potential” risk? Fear indeed. Does it really take millions of dollars in federal spending to figure out you shouldn’t probably breath the mist?

2. POSTED BY msmr  |  July 28, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

I rarely used spray sunscreen – always seemed to run out really fast. However, this summer my child’s camp requested spray sunscreen for the kids because the counselors were not allowed to help the children apply regular sunscreen. The policy seemed to be based on some misplaced fear of counselors “touching” the children. They also seemed to discourage the children from helping each other apply sunscreen (no “can you get my back?”), but I didn’t get a clear response if this was actual policy.

3. POSTED BY Right of Center  |  July 28, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

what a world, huh?

4. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  July 28, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

That spray stuff always seemed like an incredible waste of money and product. $24 for TWO cans? Please. And that most of it misses the kid is another reason for me to avoid it.

And now this?

Lotion sunscreen is cheap(er), easy to apply and safe(r).

I especially HATE the mist from this stuff– wafting down the beach, so if I never see it again. Good.

5. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 28, 2011 @ 4:32 pm

Yeah, I agree. D’oh!

6. POSTED BY scottie  |  July 29, 2011 @ 4:59 am

Must agree w ROC. Ummm, duh. I am surprised parents would buy this at all. I liken it to bug spray. Why would you risk your kids inhaling those chemicals?

7. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  July 29, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

scottie, do you have children? My kids have scratched themselves raw due to mosquito bites and I’ve also had to remove an engorged tick from my son’s neck. I’ll spray my children with DEET if we are in an area infested with deer ticks or if they are playing in the evening when there are many mosquitoes out. I haven’t read anything convincing that DEET is toxic to children and if you have, I’d like to read it.

I dunno, this report about spray sunscreen did not make me throw out my bottle of Neutrogena wet skin spray. I found it quite useful on the beach, specifically for reapplying on the legs and back. Of course my son is rather wimpy about how cold it is when it hit his skin so that was a deterrent to using it. And my daughter didn’t like the taste of it when I sprayed it right in her face. Oh wait, are you not supposed to do that? Seriously, I’ve never seen the stuff “wafting down the beach” like some big carcinogenic cloud.

If you start to read up on sunscreen, you’ll find reports that it actually causes cancer. Good Lord, what is one to do these days? I’ll stick with my broad spectrum lotion or spray, whatever is available at the time and not obsess about every toxin my children might be exposed to. We’re all just doing our best.

8. POSTED BY profwilliams  |  July 29, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

Re: wafting down the beach…. Just yesterday at the beach, I was ASSAULTED by some parent wildly spraying the stuff while holding a winging kid. Meanwhile, other kids stood or sat quietly as their parents smoothed on lotion sunscreen on them.

Either way, I HATE the stuff and can’t believe it works as well as the lotion. (It may give peace of mind), but it’s a waste of money- spraying most of it into the air and on poor, little me– just trying to catch some rays…

9. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 29, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

And three secret service men wrestled the parent to the ground…

Yeah, that’s a good point about spraying it on the beach. The sand would get all in the lotion, wouldn’t it? Hadn’t thought of that. I am also witch’a about DEET. Those vampire bugs are nasty. I don’t want any of that natural stuff that smells good etc. Give me something toxic! If I could get hold of enough DDT, I would bathe in it.

10. POSTED BY Tudlow  |  July 29, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

Other natural stuff doesn’t really work, but whatever, your body, your call. DEET and DDT are two different things, btw.

prof, you’re funny. You created quite a visual of yourself sunning on the beach being assaulted by idiotic, spray suncreen wielding parents. Love it.

11. POSTED BY walleroo  |  July 29, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Yes, one is DEET and the other is DDT, but I’m not saying which.

12. POSTED BY Kristin  |  July 31, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

I have used a couple of different types of spray sunscreen. It saves about ten minutes on each squirming child in the morning. I have worried about the spray, but I was thinking about eyes rather than breathing it in. They turn their heads away when I spray it – but the lotion spray stuff doesn’t seem to travel much. I haven’t used the Neutrogena (we’re low-end, I guess). For their faces I usually use regular lotion or I spray the stuff into my hand and then rub it in. I’ll be more hesitant about the spray stuff now, but I’ll probably still use it on legs and arms.

There was also a squirt (not spray can) bottle of the pink stuff that was really handy. No aerosol or chemicals, just liquidy lotion from a pump bottle. The Bullfrog brand has a sunscreen and/or bug spray that is like that too.