One of the great things about little girls is you can tack the word “fairy” onto just about anything and sell them on the idea. Caroline, my five-year-old next door neighbor, had red sparkly shoes she wanted to wear for Halloween so I suggested a ladybug fairy costume and she said,”YES!”
The key to this costume was the cute petal collar which was super easy to make and putting polka dots on the shirt and the leggings. Change the colors on the costume to white, green and yellow and it could be a daisy fairy–glue silk daisies on a headband and shoes…
- A headband with antenna: I got the antenna from the store and spread white glue on it and sprinkled it with red glitter.
- A polka dot shirt: This was done by cutting out red circles from felt in different sizes and hot gluing them to the front of a long sleeved black shirt. I put a bit of red glitter glue on some of the polka dots.
- A red petal collar: I just cut out tear-shaped pieces of red felt, overlapped them and glued them in a circle keeping an opening at the back. Then I glued some pom pom trim on the edge and secured the ends with Velcro.
- Red fairy wings: These came from the store. They kept flopping back so I hot glued a rectangular piece of black felt to the back that held the wings in place.
- A red tutu: Most stores that carry dress up clothes or costumes should have different colored tutus
- Black polka dot leggings: I painted polka dots with fabric paint and the back end of a pencil on black leggings.
- Red sparkly shoes
For tutorial pictures, click on the slide-show below to see how I made this costume:
If you’re looking for some great deals on kids costumes this year, check of Aunt Jean’s Toys and Treats. They have a girl pirate, chef, Snow White, Dorothy, witches hats, High School Musical, a cheerleader, Madeline, silk mermaid, a baby flower costume, a bunny, an angel and pirate accessories all for 30% off!
Questions? Just Ask Holly in comments.
What are your kids going to be for Halloween this year?