Things to Do With The Family The Day After Thanksgiving

BY  |  Saturday, Nov 19, 2011 8:15am  |  COMMENTS (9)

Thanksgiving is in less than a week! After you’re stuffed with turkey (or tofurky or “Meat” nutloaf) and all the fixins’, you’ll have the next day off. Many people love to brave the crowds and shop on the day after Thanksgiving. Not me. I like to shop locally, or online, and spend the rest of the day doing something fun with my family.

There are some fun things going on in, and around,  Baristaville for doing just that:

Goggle, Goggle, Goggle Family Swim
Who:
Families with children up to age 12.
What: Enjoy some fun family time in the pool the day after Thanksgiving and work off all those calories!
Where: Geyer Family YMCA, 159 Glenridge Avenue, Montclair, NJ, 07042.
When: Friday, November 25. Three slots available: 2 pm – 2:40 pm / 2:40 pm – 3:20 pm / 3:20 pm – 4 pm.
Cost: $5 per family.

Holiday Lights Spectacular
Who:
All ages.
What: Turtle Back Zoo’s annual Holiday Lights decorations of 100,000 bulbs and 50 lit displays illuminate the zoo this holiday season.
Where: Turtle Back Zoo, 560 Northfield Avenue, West Orange, NJ.
When: Weekends from November 25 -December 18 and daily from December 19 – January 1. Open from 5 pm – 9 pm.
Cost: Admission is free!

Fall Harvest Campfire
Who:
All ages.
What: Roast marshmallows, and enjoy some popcorn and cider. Dress for the weather.
Where: Essex County Environmental Center, 621-B Eagle Rock Avenue, Roseland, NJ.
When: Friday, November 25 at 12 pm AND 2:30 pm
Cost: Call 973.228.8776 to register and for more information.

Fabulous Friday Stories
Who:
Little kids and their grown-ups.
What: Enjoy some great story read by Ms. Keisha.
Where: South Orange Public Library, 65 Scotland Road, South Orange, NJ.
When: Friday, November 25 at 4 pm.
Cost: Free.

Special Holiday Weekend Park Bench: Family Totems and Crests
Who:
Families with small children.
What: Parents with young children will enjoy MAM Park Bench, a program that introduces children to the Museum and serves as an artistic social outing. Get acquainted with other parents and young children, work on fun art projects, and take a guided tour of the Museum. Storytelling provided in the galleries courtesy of the Montclair Public Library.
Where: Montclair Art Museum, 3 South Mountain Avenue, Montclair, NJ.
When: Friday, November 25 from 10 am – 12 pm
Cost: $6 per child, $12 for adults, free for adult members.

Rock and Mineral Weekend
Who:
All ages.
What: Enjoy a rockin’ weekend at the Morris Museum. Visit the mineral, gem and fossil displays throughout the museum. Dig into a sandbox scavenger hunt and enjoy a ‘mineral magic’ show. Members of the Morris Museum Mineralogical Society will be on hand to identify your mystery rocks and minerals. Families will be able to examine fossils, learn about fluorescent minerals, and listen to engaging presentations about the Earth and various topics in geology.
Where: Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ
When: Friday, November 25 from 12 pm – 3 pm
Cost: Free with museum admission. $7 children, $10 adults. Call 973.971.3718 for more information.

Liberty Science Center: Math Midway, Polar Express Screening and More
Who:
All ages.
What: Spend the day at Liberty Science Center! Check out the newest exhibit Math Midway, get in the holiday spirit by watching The Polar Express in the IMAX Dome Theater and much more!
Where: Liberty Science Center, 222 Jersey City Boulevard, Jersey City, NJ.
When: Friday, November 25 from 9 am – 4 pm.
Cost: $11.50 for children ages 2-12 / $15.75 for adults / free for children 2 and under. IMAX tickets are: $7 children / $9 adults.

If you do have to  work (sorry), or want a few hours to so some Black Friday shopping and need someone to watch the kiddies, the Geyer Family YMCA is offering its Little Live Y’ers Vacation Camp:

Little Live Y’ers Vacation Camp
Who: Kids ages 3 – 6.
What: A day filled with fun activities: swimming, gym, arts and crafts and more!
Where: The Geyer Family YMCA, 159 Glenridge Avenue, Montclair, NJ, 07042.
When: Friday, November 25. Kids can be dropped off as early at 5 a.m. (for early morning shoppers) and picked up as late as 5 p.m.
Cost: Members – $47 a day / Non-members – $57 a day. In order to reserve a space for your child, payment and a registration form must be completed for each date attending. Please register within 3 business days prior to the program date. Registration received in less than 3 days prior to camp will be charged an additional $10 fee.
Download your registration form here. Call (973) 783-7640 for more information and to sign-up.

1. POSTED BY walleroo  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:11 am

You can also go for a walk. There’s Mills Resrv, and these others (closest first):

Garrett Mountain

De Korte

Forsythe

Great Swamp

Hacklebarney

Harriman

2. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Thanks roo,

Great suggestion!

Are you trying to tell me something?

3. POSTED BY walleroo  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:30 am

No, silly. I just wish I could go to one of these places myself, in the worst way, RIGHT NOW.

4. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Whew! I know I’ve packed on a few, but I was hoping I didn’t get to the point where people were suggesting I exercise.

5. POSTED BY walleroo  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:44 am

You have? Funny, in your picture you don’t look a day over five. I, on the other hand, grow more rotund by the day. Soon my waist will exceed the circumference of the inner solar system. The gravitational pull will start to interfere with the motion of the heavenly bodies. All sorts of horrible things could happen then. I don’t even want to think about it.

But walking, ‘gette, isn’t exercise. It’s not like what people do in the gym. It’s just nice, and there are birds and turtles and things, and you feel good afterwards, like you’ve been somewhere essential. And if you’re worried about being too healthy, you can always stop for an ice cream on the way home.

6. POSTED BY walleroo  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Oh, and I left out the best thing: afterwards the kids are EXHAUSTED. For a few minutes, anyway.

7. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  November 19, 2011 @ 10:54 am

You flatter me. I’m 6-years-old in this picture.

And you’ve inspired me to walk more.

8. POSTED BY walleroo  |  November 19, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Most six year olds want to be told they look older, but okay, whatever floats your boat.

You realize the irony here, ‘gette? I’ve been sitting in this chair so long I’ve become part of it. I’m like Jeff Goldblum in The Fly after his DNA gets all mixed up with the fly’s and he gets recombined with the transporter machine and has tubes and hoses coming out of him. At this point it would take gene therapy to separate me from the chair. And I’ve inspired you to walk more? The world is topsy turvey! But okay, I’m glad. Just please post the pix and tell us where you’ve been and what it’s like out there…

9. POSTED BY Sandy  |  November 19, 2011 @ 7:08 pm