The New York International Gift Fair is being held at the Javits Center in New York City through Thursday, February 2. I had a chance to check it out over the weekend and was overwhelmed by all the cool, beautiful, practical and ingenious things I saw there.
Here are ten of the best finds from the show:
1. Woolly Boo – Made in the USA and headquartered in Montclair, Woolly Boo makes gorgeous infant sleep sacks ($149) and other children’s bedding and pillows, including the newly introduced All-In-One Nap Mat, ideal for preschool, daycare, sleepovers and traveling.
2. My Blue Bumbershoot – Ever wondered why your stroller-bound child gets a completely waterproof plastic protection from the rain, but the stroller chauffeur gets literally left out in the rain? Created by two moms who were tired of getting wet, this ingenious umbrella clamps on to just about every make of stroller. Retails for $49.99.
3. evREwares - These fun, reusable fabric adhesives are made from woven material and will stick just about anywhere, without leaving behind any residue. Products include practical drink labels ($9 for 30) and whimsical sticky bowties ($5), Sticky Ties for Kids ($5) and even Big Guy StickyTies for men ($6).
4. MyDrap – One of the hottest booths at the show, these are disposable cotton napkins and place mats - that come on rolls. Just tear off as needed, they can be washed and reused up to six times. Available in an assortment of fun colors, they’re perfect for adult entertaining, kids parties or just a Tuesday night dinner.
5. Modern Twist – With the tag line “eco-chic products for a sustainable planet,” everything here is 100% recyclable and reusable. I loved the Kidz Placemats ($17) that are made from food-grade silicone so they won’t tear or crease. Also available is the Kidz Box ($26) which is great for travel and includes a place mat and six markers for kids who feel more art-y than eat-y at mealtimes.
7. kidSTYLE - This New Jersey-based company has lovely handmade crocheted dolls and rattles, as part of their amikins collection as well as stylish storage containers. I just love their car and rainbow cases.
8. Artterro – These eco-friendly art kits are made in the USA of all natural materials and retail for around $20. Arts and craft kits include materials for open-ended projects, and the box itself becomes a frame to display your finished creation. Best for ages 7+, or younger if creating with adult participation.
9. Me Two You – These incredibly soft baby blankets are beautifully made in the USA, and this is a company that truly has a mission of social responsibility - for every blanket purchased they donate a baby blanket to an orphaned child. Their plush blanket is $72.
10. Snappy Tables – These clever tables can be snapped closed, becoming flat enough to hang on the wall. An ingenious solution both for when you want more table space, and for when you want more play space! Wall fitting included, and table designs ensure it looks just as good on the wall as it does as a table. Retails for $210-240.