Ask Holly: I Pity the April Fool

BY  |  Friday, Mar 30, 2012 11:30am  |  COMMENTS (10)

My son with a rather wet shirt

Every year my kids try to prank me, Queen of the Jokesters, on April Fool’s Day and every year I get them back. Don’t mess with Mommy, somethin’ isn’t quite right with her. My kids are only 5 and 9, but as they get older,  I’m sure my plan will totally backfire on me as I age and get crazier. Toilet seats covered with plastic wrap, salt in the sugar bowl, replacing my eye cream with breath mints — all lame attempts to try and out master the master.

If your kids are old enough to hold a straight face while pranking you, let them get the first joke on and act totally surprised. Actually, act like you forgot that it was the April 1st. Use the Leap Year as an excuse. They won’t think you have anything planned, but you do! Time to water the spaghetti tree.

Here Are Some Oldies but Goodies:

• The old rubber band around the sink sprayer. This is a classic, take a rubber band and put it around the base of the sink sprayer making sure the button is held down by the rubber band. The next person to turn the water on the sink will get sprayed full on. It is always funny. As long as it’s not you.
  • Salt in the sugar bowl.
  • Switch the clothes around in their dressers while they are sleeping.
  • Put slime on the alarm clock. Make sure it’s on a plastic plate so it does not drip into the clock. When he/she goes to hit the snooze button, they will get a handful of slime.
  • My daughter thinks it is hilarious to make me coffee on April Fool’s Day. She pours every kind of gross thing in the world into the cup with coffee, then she giggles telling me to drink the “special”coffee she made me. Have your kids play this gag on the parent who slept in that morning.
  • Put a spool of thread in your pocket and ask your child to pull the loose thread. Then freak out like he’s unraveling your clothes.
  • Stuff toilet paper in the front of their shoes so they can’t get them on.
  • Switch the bags of cereal into different boxes so when they think they are pouring Kashi, they get bran flakes.

Operation "April Showers" is ready to roll

For Teens:

• Hide different alarm clock all over her room to go off at different times.
  • Short sheet the bed. This is when you tuck the flat sheet under the head side of the bed  instead of the foot and fold it up to look like the bed is made normally. When the person gets into the bed his feet won’t go to the bottom of the bed because they are trapped in the sheet. It sounds dumb, but it is super funny.
  • Dig through the Halloween things and find some rubber spiders or mice and then use your imagination. Rubber snakes work well under the sheets as well.

Be safe. Be funny. And don’t try any of this stuff on me, because I’m a witch…yes you heard me right, a witch. Not the other thing and I pity the fool who messes with me.

What is the best prank you have ever pulled or had pulled on you?

1. POSTED BY Jenn  |  March 30, 2012 @ 12:47 pm

Here are some great pranks to play on your kids:

1. Send them to boarding school.
    2. Cut their hair when they’re asleep.
    3. Project large photos of them as little kids onto the outside wall of their school (works best with teens).
    4. Fill their shampoo bottles with mayonaise.
    5. Remove and hide the seats from their car while they’re sleeping (all ages).
    6. If the tooth fairy is expected to visit, replace the teeth under their pillow with fake poop or vomit.
    7. Use real poop or vomit.

2. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  March 30, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

You scare me, Holly.
    But I really want one of those spaghetti trees.

3. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 30, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

I like to take sharp steak knives and stick them upwards from the box-spring through the mattress just slightly covered by the sheet.

Then hide and watch when some goes to bed and says “Boy am I dead to the world”….as they jump on the bed.

Cleaning up the mess is a real pain though.

4. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 30, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

One thing I also like to do is throw the family and kids in the car and say “Were going on a picnic”. Then when their not paying attention pull into the vet and have the dog put to sleep.

5. POSTED BY Holly Korus  |  March 30, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Deep thoughts by Herbie.

6. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  March 30, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

My step-dad was the King of pranks and tortured me growing up. The best was when he unscrewed the shower head and filled it with ketchup. When I turned it on in a teenage fog in the morning, I freaked out thinking it was blood. I had nightmares for weeks.

Don’t do that to your teenagers parents, unless they have been extra snotty.

7. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 30, 2012 @ 1:06 pm

Another favorite of mine. At my annual April 1st Party (which I call my “April 1st Party” as not to make guests suspicious) .. I wait for everyone to get all nice and then I yell ‘who wants to shots of kamikazes?”…then substitute ice cold clam juice for the kamikaze and sit back and enjoy the faces of my unsuspecting guests as it goes down the hatch. This to can be a big cleanup.

8. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 30, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

Now Georgette, that’s funny.

9. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  March 30, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

Here is one that always gets a reaction. Waltz through the living room carrying my golf clubs and smoking a stogie after Mrs. Herb has spent the entire morning doing wash and cleaning up the house take the finger and wipe it across the most obscure place in the room and look at her with disappointment and say “You missed a spot”. Lol, that always gets’em.

10. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  March 30, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

You can always tell the kids it’s the pet on the plate for dinner. My mother actually did that but it wasn’t’ April 1st. She killed my pet geese and didn’t tell me until we were eating them.