Ask Holly: Goddess Costume

BY  |  Tuesday, Oct 09, 2012 10:00am  |  COMMENTS (11)

This is the year of the goddess in my home. My daughter is going to be Iris, goddess of the Rainbow. Her friends Hollen and Nicki will be Artemis, goddess of the Hunt and Athena, goddess of wisdom. I am  Suckerus, goddess of saying yes to making 3 of these costumes. I have one more to go.

I really dislike sewing and for one reason only—I suck. The shame from my mother who started teaching me to sew in 4th grade. I have all of the equipment, but what I use the most is the seam ripper. This is the little doo-dad used to remove  messy stitching. When I first discovered seam-binding, a magical adhesive product that allows you to make a permanent  hem with just an iron, my mother accused me of working hard to find ways around sewing, rather than learning to sew. She was right.

You can make this Goddess costume three ways:

1. Sew a T-shirt dress
  2. Use a storebought white skirt and a white camisole
  3. Make a no-sew shirt and a store bought camisole.

Here is what you will need to make a Goddess Costume:

• A white cami tank top and a white skirt or a white cami shirt-dress
  • White cotton fabric for skirt
  • Plenty of gold trim such as rik-rak, roping and or bias tape (sold in packages by the thread and rik-rak)
  • An iron
  • Gold spray paint
  • Silk Flower leaves and or fake fruit
  • 18 gauge floral wire
  • Felt in assorted colors if making the rainbow headband.
  • Yellow felt if making the gold headband.
  • Hot glue and a hot glue gun
  • Seam binding
  • 1/2″ wide white elastic
  • Gold jewelry
  • Gold face paint
  • Hair clips
  • Needle and white thread
  • Scissors

To make the dress:
If you sew, or have someone that will be sewing for you, this dress was made with a simple white tank top and making the skirt—what is known as a tee shirt dress. Check the site Lovetosew.com for basic directions.

To make a no-sew skirt:
Step One: Measure the length you want the skirt and add on two inches or so for hems. The fabric comes off the bolt 45″wide so I cut two pieces 29″x  45″

Step Two: Match them up evenly on your ironing board. Take the one side that is 29″and put seam binding evenly between the two pieces almost to the edge now with your iron on high iron it down. Let cool and now do the same to the other side. You should now a large tube shape. TIP- Always be careful not to touch the seam binding directly to your iron.

Step Three: For the hem, place the skirt over your ironing board so it is hanging around it. Iron down a 1/4″ hem all around the shirt turning it around your ironing board as you go. Iron down a 1″ hem all the way around. Place the seam binding under and to the edge of the hem and iron down all the way around the skirt. You should have a nice hem all the way around and if it looks a bit messy you can cover it with trim later.

Step Four: For the waistband, like the hem you just did iron, down a 1/4″ hem all around the skirt. Iron down about an 1 1/2″ hem all the way around the skirt. Place the seam binding inside and to the edge of your hem and iron down all around leaving and opening about and 1″ wide to feed your elastic through.

Step Five: Take a safety pin and pin it through the end of the elastic. Push it through the waist band like you would if a string came out of a pair of sweatpants. When you come out the other end pull the skirt on the child to measure their waist. Cut the elastic and hand sew the ends together.

You have now made a skirt without sewing (7 hand stitches at the end don’t count).

For the trim:
Hot glue trim around the bottom of the skirt, the bottom of the cami and anywhere else you like. The gold fabric over the shoulders I cut and gathered the ends and glued them together. Then I glued each end under the cami in front of the arm holes

For the headbands:
Rainbow headband: Using wire and felt, I cut out leaves in the colors of the rainbow and ironed a crease in the middle. I glued them overlapping to the wire with a strip of felt on the other side. If they were only glued to the wire they would fall right off.

Gold leaf headband: Using a strip of yellow felt, I glued the underside of the leaves to the wire with the felt on the other side of the wire. When you have your desired length sprat paint both sides gold. When the head band is dry twist the two ends together.

Hair and make-up:
The goddess hair was just loosely pinned up with clips leaving strands of hair hanging. I curled Hollen’s hair then I wove strands of gold string through it. Lastly,  I placed the headband on and finished her face with blush and gold make up. For Iris’ hair I found rainbow color hair strands, put the in her hair and curled the strands. I did rainbow colored make-up for her with gold touches.

For the rainbow train:
I found this gorgeous fabric and just cut it in a semi-circle shape and made a simple hem with seam binding. I sewed it to the top back of the cami.

Check out the slide show for step by step pictures:

Costume questions? Just Ask Holly in comments

Later this week I will be Cocktailus, goddess of the bottomless martini with the song Athena stuck in my head. I will be just a girl—who is bombed. Just a girl, just a guuuurl.

Fabric, trim and seam binding available at I’ve Got a Notion and Jo-Ann’s Fabrics and Crafts
Rainbow fabric, silk leaves, fruits and berries available at Jo-Ann’s Fabric and Crafts
Face paint available at Jerry’s Artist Outlet

1. POSTED BY jerseygurl  |  October 09, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I might have to make one for myself. Pretty girls!

2. POSTED BY danahawkinssimons  |  October 09, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

holly, these are gorgeous costumes. and i really love the girls’ poses. looks like they’re having a blast!

3. POSTED BY Holly Korus  |  October 09, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

Thanks ladies. I have been wearing the gold headband around the house. I may wear it around town this week. Why not?

The girls were good but it was cold and they were barefoot. The price of fame.

4. POSTED BY fran liscio  |  October 10, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

another spectacular costume by Holly! these are just beautiful and the young ladies do indeed look like Goddesses-in-training!

5. POSTED BY stasia71  |  October 10, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

Hi Holly! I am sadly craft-impaired. My almost 3-year-old daughter has said a few times she wants to be a snowflake for Halloween? What would you recommend for someone who doesn’t sew? Thanks in advance!

6. POSTED BY Holly Korus  |  October 11, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Stasia,
    I would start by getting her something to wear that is white. White stretch pants and a white long sleeved shirt or turtle neck. If you can find her a white tulle skirt and or a white faux fur vest even better.

I would make the snowflake by first measuring your child with her arms out like a cross, from a elbow to elbow. Now add two inches, this is the height of your snowflake. Probably about 22″. Now, take two large pieces of white felt and trace a basic snowflake shape onto the felt. Look for images on Yahoo by typing in snowflake clip-art images.

After you have traced your snowflake cut them out and glue them together. Put the side you traced on the inside so the pencil does not show. I recommend hot glue because it will make the felt stiffer and hold the shape. You could always put a layer of white poster board between the felt before gluing.

Your girly is 3 so sparkle is a must. Use opalescent or silver glitter glue to outline the snowflake. I would do both sides.

You could either put a few hand stitches you could cut out later through the back of whatever white shirt she will wear to attach the snowflake or hot glue white elastic shoulder straps. Do this the same way fairy wing fit on.

You could finish it off with a crown and or wand. Some of the Craft stores already have out winter holiday things so you may find a few snowflakes you could use.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

7. POSTED BY Liz George  |  October 11, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

Beautiful girls and gorgeous costumes!

8. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  October 11, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

Liz, I think we should get Holly to make us a pair of these so we can be Greek goddesses.

9. POSTED BY stasia71  |  October 11, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

Holly, thanks so much! I will definitely go for it and take a photo:)

10. POSTED BY Liz George  |  October 12, 2012 @ 9:42 am

Georgette – sounds like a plan!

11. POSTED BY Holly Korus  |  October 12, 2012 @ 11:44 am

Great I am charging $400 for each head piece but for you two $395 each.