UPDATE: 10/31 at 5:30 pm
No news of power on for those who lost it due to Hurricane Sandy, but there are options for families needing to get out, eat, re-charge and more. Check back often, as we’ll update throughout the day:
School Closures for Thursday, November 1 AND/OR Friday, November 2:
Montclair Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Bloomfield Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
North Caldwell Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Wayne Public Schools: Closed Thursday
Millburn Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
West Orange Public Schools: Closed Thursday and Friday
South Orange – Maplewood Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Nutley Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Passaic Valley High School: Closed Thursday
Summit Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Caldwell-West Caldwell Public Schools: Closed Thursday
Verona Public Schools: Closed both Thursday and Friday
West Essex Regional Schools: Closed Thursday
Park Street Academy in Montclair: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Montclair Community Pre-K
Lacordaire Academy in Montclair: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Kent Place School: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Newark Academy in West Orange: Closed Thursday
Immaculate Conception High School In Montclair: Closed Thursday
Playhouse Nursery School in West Orange: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Mount Saint Dominic Academy: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Montclair Cooperative School: Closed Thursday
MMO Programs in Montclair: Closed both Thursday and Friday
Colleges and Universities
Rutgers will close the rest of the week
Bloomfield College closed for the rest of the week.
Caldwell College: Closed Thursday
William Paterson University: Closed Thursday
Montclair State University will be closed for instructional purposes through Sunday, November 4. The campus will be fully open on Monday, November 5
Essex County College closed the rest of the week
CHILDCARE HELP: The YMCA of Montclair is offering Emergency School Closing Camp on Thursday, November 1st and Friday, November 2nd for children in kindergarten through eighth grade. The program is designed for working parents that are in need of care for children that are off from school due to the storm. Fee: Y Member $50.00 per day / Non Member $ 60.00 per day. Children should bring a lunch, bathing suit, swim cap and towel. To save time please click here to download the registration and emergency information forms. The completed forms will be collected with your payment at the time of drop off. Forms will also be available at drop off, but please give yourself a few extra minutes to complete these important requirements.
Schools Open on Thursday, November 1
Montclair Kimberley Academy
St. James Preschool in Monclair
Glen Ridge Public Schools: 2 hour Delayed Opening, but BoE advises that Linden Avenue families dress appropriately, as they are working on the heating. They also advise to be careful on certain streets.
Things to Do:
- Montclair Art Museum is open—take the kids and enjoy art.
- Boone Studio on Church Street is throwing a Halloween Part: 10:30 am to 11:30 am 1hr 4$/ child. For some music, dance, games, treats and yoga.
- Parlor Hair Studio offering hair washes, re-charges and coffee. Reduced blowout prices by $10 for today and tomorrow.
- Geyer Family YMCA open and offering childcare and Open Gym for families: Open Gym Thursday 11/1/12. Session I 12:15-1:15 and Session II 1:30-2:30, Friday 11/2/12 one session only 1:45-2:45. Cost is $10 per family per session. Call the Geyer Family YMCA to register beginning at 9:00 am. PLEASE NOTE this is a parent child program and children must be supervised by a parent or caregiver throughout the session time.
- Just Kidding Around on Bloomfield Avenue is open and offering board game fun!
- Whole Foods Montclair and Whole Foods West Orange are open and offering free ice.
- Montclair Public Library will open today from 10 am – 8 pm
- Bellevue Ave Branch of the Montclair Library opens 2-6 pm today as safe haven and shelter only.
- Tia Marie bead shop is offering a special for today and tomorrow—a BOGO, $5 to make a kids bracelet, 2nd one free!
- Mathnasium Montclair open and inviting people to recharge and hang out
- Bloomfield Public Library open until 5 pm
- Shomrei in Montclair invites the community who have no power to come in for a nosh, to charge your phones, to work on your laptops – until 7 pm Wednesday, from 9 am to 7 pm on Thursday and from 9 am to 4 pm on Friday. An informal dinner will be available from 5:30 to 7 pm Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
In addition, we are planning a Friday evening Shabbat dinner after services which begin at 6:30 pm. Please rsvp to Marge so we know how many people to prepare for. Since this is not a budgeted item, they appreciate any financial support you can offer.
- Educational and entertainment websites: Brainpop and BrainpopJr. are being offered free for the rest of the week!
Halloween Trick or Treating Info:
- Montclair Halloween Trick-or-Treat Postponement: Due the dangerous conditions on township streets, Montclair Township asks residents to postpone Halloween trick-or-treating activities to Saturday, November 3, between the hours of 12:00 Noon and 5:00 p.m.
- Due to the state of emergency, the Borough of Glen Ridge has postponed Trick or Treating until
Friday, November 2, 2012.until Monday November 5, 2012 as per Governor’s request.
- Bloomfield cancels trick or treating, says new date TBA
- School of Rock’s Rocky Horror Live show postponed. New date TBA