Updated: 6 pm
Some lucky families got power back last night. If you’re one of the unlucky families, like mine, you are still off the grid. It may not be until November 9 for the rest of us to get power. Here are the latest school closure information, event information, and things to do with the kids.
Check back often, as we’ll update throughout the day:
School Closures for Friday, November 2:
Montclair Public Schools
Bloomfield Public Schools
North Caldwell Public Schools
Millburn Public Schools
West Orange Public Schools
South Orange – Maplewood Public Schools
Nutley Public Schools
Summit Public Schools
Verona Public Schools
Clifton Public Schools
Wayne Public Schools
Little Falls Public Schools
Clifton Public Schools
Park Street Academy in Montclair
Montclair Community Pre-K
Lacordaire Academy in Montclair
Kent Place School
Playhouse Nursery School in West Orange
Mount Saint Dominic Academy
MMO Programs in Montclair
Colleges and Universities
Montclair State University
Essex County College
Schools Opening Friday, November 2
- Montclair Cooperative School will be back in session, tomorrow, Friday, November 2nd, at the usual time. Finally, please note that from 7:45am until 3:15pm tomorrow, Friday, the art room will be open for Co-op adults needing a place to warm up and charge up.
- Glen Ridge Public Schools: Linden Avenue School also sent the following email: Pasta Day is on for tomorrow, November 2nd. If your child does not normally receive pasta lunch and you would like to order it this once, please email@example.com by 9:00 am tomorrow, November 2nd. Please specify butter or red sauce. The Home and School Association will cover the cost of these lunches.
South Orange – Maplewood Schools will open the full week next week:
Currently, power outages and hazardous conditions prevent schools from opening. Several schools are without power; downed power lines pose a danger to children getting to school; and traffic patterns are compromised by fallen trees and nonfunctioning lights.
SOMSD buildings sustained only minor damage during the storm, and will be ready to open when power is restored and conditions ensure safe passage.
If schools are safe to open next week, then SOMSD will have five full days of school next week from November 5 – 9.
- Monday. Elementary parent-teacher conferences scheduled for Monday afternoon, November 5, will be rescheduled at a later date, and all schools will have a full day session. Breakfast will not be served
- Tuesday. All schools will have a full day session on Tuesday, November 6, with the previously scheduled professional development for staff rescheduled at a later date.
- Wednesday. All schools will have a full day session on Wednesday, November 7, as previously scheduled.
- Thursday and Friday. All schools will have full day sessions on Thursday, November 8, and Friday, November 9, as the previously scheduled annual teacher convention has been canceled by the NJEA.
Please note that the SAT test administration scheduled at Columbia High School for Saturday, November 3, will take place as scheduled. Please allow extra time for travel to the testing site.
TEACHER’S CONVENTION: For the first time in its 158-year history, the NJEA Convention has been cancelled The NJEA announced this morning that it has canceled the annual teachers’ convention, which was supposed to be held next Thursday and Friday in Atlantic City.
CHILDCARE: YMCA of Montclair is offering Emergency School Closing Camp on Thursday, November 1st and Friday, November 2nd for children in kindergarten through eighth grade. The program is designed for working parents that are in need of care for children that are off from school due to the storm. Fee: Y Member $50.00 per day / Non Member $ 60.00 per day. Children should bring a lunch, bathing suit, swim cap and towel. To save time please click here to download the registration and emergency information forms. The completed forms will be collected with your payment at the time of drop off. Forms will also be available at drop off, but please give yourself a few extra minutes to complete these important requirements.
SDA at the Soccer Domain offering camps: Friday 2nd November:
you can register online here if you have access or just SHOW UP!!
Things to Do:
- Montclair Art Museum is open and opffering free admission! They invite the community to come in, get warm, and enjoy the galleries on us. They will close at 5 p.m. (no Free First Thursday Night).
- Educational and entertainment websites: Brainpop and BrainpopJr. are being offered free for the rest of the week!
- Montclair Public Library has extended regular hours from 8 pm – 10 pm.
- Bellevue Library has been open until 6 p.m. as comfort station.
- Yogi Berra Museum & Learning Center is open (Wednesday through Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.). Great local place to go for families.
- Mathnasium Montclair open and inviting people to recharge and hang out
- Boone Studio in Montclair is offering babysitting during allits classes Friday, Saturday and Sunday 9:30am, and 10:30am: 4$/ child/hour
Event Updates and Information
- SAT testing this Saturday at Montclair High School will take place.
- The 31st Annual Bloomfield High School Marching Band Fall Festival, originally scheduled for this Sunday, Nov. 4, has been postponed until Saturday, November 10, beginning at noon at Foley Field. Bloomfield schools remain closed for the remainder of this week, and much of the town, as well as other communities in New Jersey who will be participating in the Festival, are still without power as a result of Hurricane Sandy. For further information contact the Director of Bands, Brendan Hughes, 973-680-8600 x4142.