UPDATED 11/4 at 9:45 am
More and more families are getting power back. For those still in the dark (and cold) stay strong, it’s coming.
Here are the latest school closures, event information, and things to do with the kids for this weekend and the week of November 5.
Check back often, as we’ll update throughout the day:
TEACHER’S CONVENTION: For the first time in its 158-year history, the NJEA Convention has been cancelled The NJEA announced this morning that it has canceled the annual teachers’ convention, which was supposed to be held next Thursday and Friday in Atlantic City.
Schools Opening on Monday, November 5
- South Orange – Maplewood Schools will open the full week next week. Please note that the SAT test administration scheduled at Columbia High School for Saturday, November 3, will take place as scheduled. Please allow extra time for travel to the testing site.
Verona Public Schools: Opening on November 5, read the details here.
Bloomfield Public Schools: Power has been restored to ALL schools except Carteret Elementary. Therefore ALL schools will be reopened on Monday November 5th except Carteret Elementary. Additionally:
- *Tuesday November 6th will be a full day-NOT an early dismissal
- *Schools WILL be in session on Thursday November 8th and Friday November 9th
- *All out of disrict bussing is suspended until further notice
- *All late busses and athletic busses are suspended until further notice
- *Elementary YMCA after care will be operating normally
Wayne Public Schools
Park Street Academy in Montclair
Clifton Public Schools: Monday, Nov. 5 – full day / Tuesday, Nov. 6 early dismissal / Wednesday, Nov. 7 - full day / Thursday, Nov. 8 – early dismissal / Friday, Nov. 9 – early dismissal.
School Closed on Monday, but Opening later in the week
Check this list for schools closed today, and here are closures for week of November 5:
Newark Public Schools: Closed Monday, November 5 and Tuesday, November 6 for children
West Orange Public Schools: Closed on Monday and Tuesday, staff only no students. Wednesday through Friday dismissals @ 1pm for students. Full days for staff.
Caldwell-West Caldwell Public School: Please note that in light of the closings and the cancellation of the Teachers’ Convention in Atlantic City, the CWC School District is tentatively planning to hold school on both Thursday and Friday, November 8 and 9. The days may be early dismissal and/or full days. Definite details regarding the days and associated hours will be decided early next week.
Montclair Public Schools— From Superintendent MacCormack:
The Montclair Public Schools will be closed on Monday, November 5, 2012 because of continued downed wires and power-outages.
In addition, school will not be in session on Tuesday, November 6 due to Election Day.
Consequently, we intend to reopen schools on Wednesday November 7, 2012, assuming no Sandy-related issues prevent safe travel to schools.
With the cancellation of the NJEA convention the Montclair Education Association leadership, the Board of Education and I are pleased to announce that school will be held on November 8th and 9th . In so doing, we will expedite the process of getting our children and their families back into school and steady routines — something we all agree must happen as soon as possible.
We recognize that some of our students and families may have commitments for those two days and we will be flexible with these absences.
As always, the safety of our students and families and the entire Montclair community is our number one priority. We will continue to keep you informed should there be further developments.
Things to Do:
- Montclair Art Museum is open and free.
- Educational and entertainment websites: Brainpop and BrainpopJr. are being offered free for the rest of the week!
- Yogi Berra Museum & Learning Center is open (Wednesday through Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.). Great local place to go for families.
- Mathnasium Montclair open and inviting people to recharge and hang out
- Try a class at Boone Studio for $11 at 9:30 0r 10:30 this morning. Mention Barista Kids and get free babysitting for the kids during the class!
- Field Station: Dinosaurs is open
- Yoga Montclair offering a warm place to hang out this afternoon. From 3-7, go warm up, have your children run around, charge your phones and laptops and get free wi-fi.
- West Caldwell Public Library is open and has Wifi
- Uptowne Girl Salon inviting all to charge phones and keep warm, hot coffee in Montclair— 12 North Willow Street.
- Newark Museum is offering free admission this Saturday and Sunday and welcomes you to participate in art and science activities for children, and group tours; charge your smart phone; and enjoy free WiFi.
- Funtime Junction, Fairfield NJ – Open this weekend. Please call 973.882.9777 for hours
- Montclair football and gridiron offering hot food and drink ($1) and heat and charging stations at woodman field today 12-4
Watchung Booksellers on Fairfield sends the following message:
First of all… I truly hope all your families and homes got through this terrible storm ok. Our families at the store are all fine but the store is dark at the moment. That means that all events for this coming weekend of 11/3-11/4 are cancelled. All other events previously announced are still on the schedule pending the power situation resolving. In the meantime, HOWEVER, do please know that, in true community fashion, we have been opening every day since Wednesday from 10-3 with lanterns in hand! It’s chilly but many customers have been thrilled to find us open and our kids room, with its huge windows and cushy seats, has been humming. I will send you a new press release as soon as I can with an update. Stay safe all of you and thank you so much.
Event Updates and Information:
- SAT testing this Saturday at Montclair High School will take place.
- The 31st Annual Bloomfield High School Marching Band Fall Festival, originally scheduled for this Sunday, Nov. 4, has been postponed until Saturday, November 10, beginning at noon at Foley Field. Bloomfield schools remain closed for the remainder of this week, and much of the town, as well as other communities in New Jersey who will be participating in the Festival, are still without power as a result of Hurricane Sandy. For further information contact the Director of Bands, Brendan Hughes, 973-680-8600 x4142.
- Townships urge families to go trick or treating on Monday, November 5 between 12 pm – 5 pm, as per the Governor’s request.
- Montclair YMCA and Geyer YMCA has some program cancellations. Check here.
The following events WILL take place:
Watoto Children’s Choir performs “Beautiful Africa: A New Generation
Who: All ages
What: A concert by the Watoto Children’s Choi, which aims to share a message of transformation by telling the story of Africa’s rescued orphans and women.
Where: Morrow Memorial Church, 600 Ridgewood Rd, Maplewood, NJ
When: Sunday, November 4 at 6 pm
Cost: Free. For more information, please visit online here or call 973.763.7676
The Montclair Public Library Main Branch will show movies tonight and this weekend at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, November 2: Chicken Run
- Saturday, November 3: Wallace and Gromit
- Sunday, November 4: The Muppets
Old Man Whipple‘s house in Montclair open his Haunted Walk (thanks to a generator) to kids on Wednesday and had about 100 people go by. He’s going to do it again this Saturday, November 3 beginning at 6:30 pm!
Halloween Parade and Costume Contest
Who: All ages.
What: This annual event is sponsored by the Maplewood Village Alliance and Maplewood Chamber of Commerce. The festivities include trick or treating, music and dancing and prizes for best costumes.
Where: Maplewood Village between Baker Street and Durand Road, Maplewood, NJ.
When: The Halloween Parade has been postponed till Monday, Nov 5th in Maplewood Village from 3 –5 pm.