Having a sleepover at a friend’s house is cool, but imagine having a sleepover on a ship or at the American Museum of Natural History. That’s awesome! We told you about some overnight program options a couple of years ago here, but there are even more options these days.
Here are eight unique sleepover spots for kids in NJ and New York City:
1) Liberty Science Center in Jersey City offers “Camp-Ins” for science loving kids ages 6 – 13. Campers get to see exclusive film screenings, experience activities and snooze under the exhibits instead of stars. Adventures include climbing a fossil-studded rock wall, playing hide n’ seek in our mini zoo, getting creative with digital spray paint at the Graffiti Wall, creating models and so much more. LSC guest services and security staff remain onsite all night for your convenience and safety.
Cost: $55 per person. Get all the details here.
2) American Museum of Natural History in NYC offers the famed “A Night at the Museum” sleepover program for kids ages 6 – 13. Kids can explore the live-animal exhibitions with knowledgeable Museum staff and challenge themselves with one of the fun Museum Quests. they’ll end the night by falling asleep in the darkened halls of one of the world’s most famous museums.
Cost: $129.00 per person. Get all the details here.
3) The Rubin Museum of Art in NYC offers a “Peak Experience” for families with kids ages 9 – 12. You’ll enjoy activites such as climbing a virtual Mt. Everest and learn all about camping safety, leadership and team work, as well as Himalayan art and Sherpa culture.
Cost: $175 per person. Get all the details here.
4) Bronx Zoo in NYC offers an often sold-out Family Overnight Safari experience in May, June and September for families with kids ages 5 and older. Families bring their own tents to camp out among the animals! You’ll be treated to fun-filled activities, such as Late Night at the Bronx Zoo, in which you meet a variety of amazing animal guests. Along with some new surprises and a late-night snack to keep the energy going, this extraordinary event is sure to create memories your family will treasure.
Cost: $175.00 per person. Get all the details here.
5) New York City Department of Parks and Recreation offers an Overnight Camp Experience for families with kids ages 8 and up. The expereince is for up to 30 campers, so it’s best for an entire family activity, a birthday party or a group of friends and their kids. Families will meet the Park Rangers in the evening, pitch their tents, go on a night hike, plan games and sleep under the stars. Food is not included.
Cost: $500 per family up to 30 campers. Get all the details here.
6) The Battleship New Jersey in Camden, NJ offers group overnights for kids ages 6 and older on its legendary floating museum on the Camden Waterfront across from Center City Philadelphia. Campers (or should we say “sailors?”) get the adventure of living like a true sailor–cramped sleeping bunks, eating at chow time in the mess hall, and even get personalized “Dog Tags.
Cost: $54.95 per person. Get all the details here.
7) The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in NYC offers ”Operation Slumber” overnight visits for families with kids ages 6 – 17. You;ll enjoy tons of activities, such as scavenger hunts, a ride on the XD Theater Cosmic Coaster and more. Dinner, snacks and breakfast are provided. They provide the cots, just bring your sleeping bags!
Cost: $120 per person. Get all the details here.
8) Garden State Discovery Museum in Cherry Hill, NJ offers the “Ultimate Slumber Party,” which allows kids to stay over at the museum and engage in a variety of activities. Partygoers might hold a pillow fight, sing karaoke, received manicures and pedicures, make jewelry or watch a movie marathon in the museum theater. Snacks and breakfast are provided. Sleepovers begin at 8:00 pm and end at 8:00 am the following morning.
Cost: $35 per person. Get all the details here.