UPDATED: Student Found Carrying BB Gun in Backpack at Glenfield School in Montclair

BY  |  Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 4:18pm  |  COMMENTS (9)

BB gun

Wikipedia image of a BB Gun. NOT the actual BB gun recovered.

UPDATE from Principal Miller 4/26:

Dear Parents and Caregivers,

I wanted to update you on the matter about which I communicated with you yesterday, concerning the bb gun confiscated from a student’s backpack on Wednesday.

Rest assured that my staff and I place the utmost importance on maintaining a safe learning and teaching environment for the Glenfield Middle School community and have given this matter our keen attention. While the firearm was immediately confiscated and the offending students were disciplined, due to an oversight interpreting the Montclair Public Schools disciplinary policy, the Montclair Police were not immediately notified. They have now been called and we are cooperating fully with them.

My staff and I are reviewing the district policy and working closely with the Superintendent’s office to prevent such an oversight from occurring here or in any Montclair Public School building in the future.

While the actions taken immediately by my office on Wednesday kept our students and staff safe, they were not in full compliance with district policy. In an effort to have transparent and comprehensive communication with you, I wanted you to hear these details directly from me.

If you have any concerns on this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me at cmiller@montclair.k12.nj.us

Sincerely,

Charlie Miller

Barista Kids looked at the Montclair Board Regulations 5131.7 titled “Weapons and Dangerous Instruments,” and found that the policy definition of “weapon” includes but is not limited to those items enumerated here, and in this instance:

Firearm “means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

It seems that the definition would include a BB Gun. Therefore, according to R-5131.7:

Any pupil who is convicted or adjudicated delinquent for possession of a firearm or a crime while armed with a firearm or found knowingly in possession of a firearm on any school property, on a school bus, or at a school-based function shall be immediately removed from the school’s regular education program pending a hearing before the board to remove the pupil from the regular education program for a period of not less than one calendar year.

4/25: This just in from Montclair’s Glenfield Middle School principal, Charles Miller:

At approximately 7:45 am yesterday, Wednesday, April 24, two students reported to me that another student had a bb gun in his/her backpack on the bus. As the students were entering the school, I requested security personnel to bring the student to my office. The bb gun was given to me, and I followed the Board Regulation R-5131.1 on Conduct and Discipline. We want you to know that your children are secure and that we followed every protocol to maintain safety in our schools.

The students who brought this to my attention were commended. If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Charlie Miller

1. POSTED BY Kristin  |  April 25, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

Considering the front page of The Montclair Times today, I find this incredibly sad. I wish I were more surprised.

2. POSTED BY es2v  |  April 25, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

Kristin – which story? (online Montclair Times reader)

3. POSTED BY Kristin  |  April 25, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

esV2: Above the fold today had a photo and article about the school active shooter drills, the armed robbery at the PNC bank, and 2nd Ward Residents worried about crime.

4. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  April 26, 2013 @ 7:26 am

Please remove this student from the school system forever and prosecute to the fullest.

5. POSTED BY mrmeowzers  |  April 26, 2013 @ 9:42 am

@stayhyphy Remove him forever and prosecute to the fullest? The kid is 14 years old or less — I don’t think his life needs to be destroyed because of a bad decision his partially-developed brain helped him make.

Perhaps he just got it, and wanted to show it to his friends. Dumb move, absolutely, and he especially picked the wrong time in regard to current events.

6. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  April 26, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Mr Meowzers, yes that is one possibility. Another possibility is this is an early warning sign of even worse/more dangerous behavior to come. We manage and anticipate the downside risks and prepare for the worst case scenario, not the other way around. If at 14 one doesn’t know that bringing any gun to school is a problem then there is something wrong with that person and they pose a huge potentional risk.

7. POSTED BY stayhyphy  |  April 26, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

By potentional I mean potential.

8. POSTED BY tallahassee  |  April 26, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

Glad to see that Principal Miller is now following the proper procedures. Better late than never.

9. POSTED BY paolo  |  April 26, 2013 @ 9:05 pm

It’s encouraging that another child “saw something, said something”. The action speaks volumes about that kid’s awareness that something wasn’t right.

I hope the school system is able to use this situation as an opportunity to reinforce the message that bringing weapons of any kind to school isn’t acceptable.

Period.