The Children’s Place Pulls Sexist T-Shirt After Parents Complain

BY  |  Tuesday, Aug 06, 2013 11:00am  |  COMMENTS (24)

the children's place

via Facebook

The Children’s Place children’s clothing store should have taken a lesson from JC Penney a  couple of years back. After much backlash from its customers, the store has pulled a girl’s graphic t-shirt called “My Best Subjects’ which has a checklist of things with Shopping, Music, and Dancing checked off, but Math left blank saying (well, nobody’s perfect).

The Children’s Place responded on its Facebook page:

We take feedback from our customers very seriously. It has come to our attention that some of you view our Best Subjects T shirt as insensitive towards girls and women. This was not our intent. There are countless women in all walks of life who excel in math, including our very own CEO. We have pulled this product from our stores and we want to express our apologies to anyone we may have offended.

Who thought that shirt was funny and a good idea? The CEO of the company is a woman—how did that get past her? This is exactly why we need programs like Athena Collaborative’s March Mathness.

1. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  August 06, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

Things must be good in B’ville if this is the stuff that parents complain about.

2. POSTED BY PAZ  |  August 06, 2013 @ 12:55 pm

Money talks and boring T-shirts walk. It’s all about sales. The CEO is looking for the cha-ching so she can float her boat. Let’s put that T-shirt on the cover of the Rolling Stone, ban it and watch the sheep run around trying to find a “like new T” on ebay.
    I guarantee The Children’s Place has already shipped them all to China.

3. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  August 06, 2013 @ 2:01 pm

I personally wouldn’t wear it but someone might think it’s cute. Why should they be denied to express themselves as they see fit? I am not impressed that the store bowed to pressure. I would have more respect is the brass stood up to this PC bullcrap.

4. POSTED BY herbeverschmel  |  August 06, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

They complain about that but then when their precious one’s are driving in the back seat of mommy’s SUV’s with the headphones on they’re blasting Kanye West’s New Slaves or watching The Housewives of …. or the Kardashians…Stop with this whiney PC garbage already.

5. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  August 06, 2013 @ 2:39 pm

I’m complaining herb and my kids do not and will not listen to inappropriate music or watch TV like that.

6. POSTED BY montclairdad  |  August 06, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

Yet feel free to walk around with the word “JUICY” plastered to your arse. That’s OK and acceptable.

7. POSTED BY cturner  |  August 06, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

Police your own kids and leave ours alone.

8. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  August 06, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Really. Don’t like the shirt? Don’t buy it.

9. POSTED BY chuckles  |  August 06, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

Really ??!!?

Let capitalism work.

10. POSTED BY ali9ia  |  August 06, 2013 @ 5:36 pm

I’m offended by the shirt as well. It’s doesn’t matter if you “don’t buy it if you don’t like it”, it’s a issue of this shirt hanging on the racks for people to read, therefore reinforcing the stereotype for all who pass by. My 6yo daughter is reading everything in sight, now that she can. I shouldn’t have to worry about her reading something degrading to females in a children’s clothing store.

By the way, montclairdad, I would be incredibly offended by shorts with the words JUICY on its arse if it were targeted to the pre-pubescent ages.

11. POSTED BY Tim Lynch  |  August 06, 2013 @ 8:36 pm

It’s not a question of “this PC bullcrap.” When women are still very much in the minority in most STEM fields, the last thing we need is to be sending the implicit message that they’re not supposed to like it anyway.

One thing I do with parents at Back-To-School Night every year (I teach physics) is give them a list of suggested do’s and don’ts about dealing with a frustrated child (boy or girl). The one big don’t is saying, “It’s okay; when I was your age I hated / was lousy at physics.” Every single parent in the room understands the point, even those who chuckle slightly guiltily at the slide. I don’t usually hear about parents of sons saying that to their kids — but daughters? Way too damn often.

12. POSTED BY PAZ  |  August 06, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

Let capitalism work.

Really??!!?

13. POSTED BY cturner  |  August 06, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

Folks, take a joke. If your kid is affected academically by a t-shirt she has much bigger problems. Toughen up already. It’s not the retailer’s obligation to raise your kid, it’s yours. Start with not allowing them to watch honey boo boo or dance mom’s.

14. POSTED BY thedudeabides  |  August 06, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

there are no words to describe how dumb this is. wow

15. POSTED BY RD_QPR  |  August 06, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

Looks to me like capitalism is working. If the people complaining about the shirt were being ridiculous, the Children’s Place would see it as free advertising. Those silly liberals would just be making the existence of this wonderful product known to more potential customers. Instead, they see it as feedback that their product is not only unwanted by many consumers, but objectionable enough to make them question the company who’s offering it.

On another note, given the relative academic performance of males and females, shouldn’t the t-shirt have been directed at boys?

16. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  August 07, 2013 @ 7:12 am

cturner,

“It’s not the retailer’s obligation to raise your kid”

You’re correct, but the consumer has every right to speak up and tell a company they do no like its practices. That’s exactly what happened. Parents were upset at the message the t-shirt sends and told The Children’s Place. The store did not have to change a thing, but they chose to listen to their customers and pull it.

17. POSTED BY Mrs Martta  |  August 07, 2013 @ 8:48 am

Parents can’t shield their kids from everything in this world they find objectionable. When I go to the shore, I am offended by the messages on some of the T-shirts I see for sale on the boardwalk. Do I complain to the store managers and ask them to remove them? of course not, I just keep walking. That’s life. Someone, somewhere is always going to be indignant about something. People got upset over a Cheerios TV ad recently that depicted a mixed-race couple. But did the cereal company pull the ad? On the contrary. They refused to bow to public pressure and I respect them for that.

18. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  August 07, 2013 @ 9:10 am

Mrs Martta,

Being upset that the message on a children’s t-shirt is negative toward girls is very different from being a racist and upset about the Cheerios commercial.

19. POSTED BY PAZ  |  August 07, 2013 @ 9:15 am

“It’s not the retailer’s obligation to raise your kid”

That’s what TV’s for.

20. POSTED BY Nellie  |  August 07, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

When I was a kid, I loved music and dancing and hated math. Still do. There are so many worse things in the world than this shirt. We’ve gone way too PC.

21. POSTED BY zephyrus  |  August 08, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

“Apples are the best!”

“No, oranges are!”

“Pfff! You’re too PC!”

“No, YOU ARE!”

“I called you too PC first!”

“Yeah but I meant it more!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“Too what?”

“TOO PC!!!”

“WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! NO FAAAAIIIIIIRRR!!!”

22. POSTED BY flipside  |  August 08, 2013 @ 7:16 pm

I find it ironic that women were “shopping” when they saw the t-shirt and got upset. I picture music playing in the store and ladies dancing or at least bobbing their heads.

23. POSTED BY Montclair Lover  |  August 28, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

It says “*MY* Best Subjects”–not “Girls’/Women’s Best Subjects”–so this only reflects on the (purchaser and points to the) wearer!

24. POSTED BY Georgette Gilmore  |  August 28, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Being that the shirt was sold in the Girl’s section, I think it’s safe to assume it was meant for girls.