Every parent needs a list of resources and support to make life easier. If you have a child with special needs, having those resources is extremely valuable. With the help from local parents, we’ve put together a Special Needs Resource Round Up of hair stylists, medical professionals, babysitter services, local parenting groups, and more who specialize or work well with children with special needs:
- Pigtails & Crewcuts in Montclair
“Owner Di Wang will open early or stay late and her staff is very sensitive and patient with children who have sensory issues and autism.”
- Celeste at Oro Hairdresser in Watchung Plaza, Montclair
“Incredibly patient with children who have issues.”
- Jacquie at Steve DeLuca’s Townhouse in Montclair
“She is AWESOME –so happy I found her. She is awesome with kids that have trouble sitting still or have anxiety about haircuts. And will pretty much make them look like a rock star.”
- MetroWest ABLE has a number of teens who just completed a five-week training course in learning to babysit for children with special needs, including CPR and First Aid certification. If you are interested in receiving contact information for these teens, please contact Becca here or call (973) 929-3129.
- VIP Kids program at Sports Domain Academy- Montclair
Special needs soccer clinic
- Yoga Instructor for children with special needs: Jacqueline Ruderman, Montclair 973 997 6528
- Montclair Shukokai Karate offers a Special Needs Karate class
- Social Sensory Connections is a program offering social skills groups, communication and sensory support for children ages 3 and up.
- First Mountain Dental in Montclair
“Dr. Trinchas and his staff are amazing with kids who have sensory issues and autism.”
- Pediatric Dentist Sacks & Jones in West Caldwell
- Montclair SEPAC
- Bloomfield SEPAC
- Glen Ridge SEPAC
- Alma Schneider hosts a weekly support group in Montclair on Fridays from 9:30 am – 11. Email her here for details.
- Kid Clan in Clifton for Physical, Speech and Occupational Therapy
“Our therapist has changed our lives!”
- Dr. Tanya Carter in Montclair for Eye Therapy
- Erica Zaklin, LCSW in Montclair: specializes in addressing Sensory Processing Disorder and the Anxiety/Depression
“She’s wonderful and is going to be running a SPD educational support group for parents this fall.”
- Social Skills Group – Lois Feigenbaum, LCSW
“Lois is wonderful!”
- Imbrogno Chiropractic and Healing Arts Center in Montclair
“Dr. Imbrogno and Dr. Lally have been an invaluable resource for our family; they’re patient, they’re compassionate and extremely knowledgeable.”
Education and Resources
- Montclair State University’s Center for Autism and Early Childhood Mental Health
Do you have a great resource for children with special needs? Please share in comments and we’ll add to the list.