Whether you’re looking for books to read at your parties or just to get the kids in the spirit, we have a great list of spooky and not so spooky Halloween books for kids of all ages, provided by Watchung Booksellers in Montclair:
For little readers, aka not so spooky Halloween books:
- It’s Halloween, I’m Turning Green by Dan Gutman
- The Little Leftover Witch by Florence Laughlin
- Boxcar Children Spooktacular Special by Gertrude Warner
- How to Ward Off Wolves, How to Outwit Witches, and How to Get Rid of Ghosts by Catherine Leblanc
- Ghost in the House by Ammi Joan Paquette
- Click Clack Boo by Betsy Lewin
Young YA and Middle Readers, aka Scarier Halloween books:
- Twisted Fairytales: 20 Classic Stories With a Dark and Dangerous Heart and Twisted Myths: 20 Classic Stories With a Dark and Dangerous Heart by Maura McHugh
- Literally Disturbed: Tales to Keep You Up at Night by Ben H. Winters
- Who’s Haunting the White House? The President’s Mansion and the Ghosts Who Live There by Jeff Belanger
- Guys Read: Thrillers edited by John Szcieska
- Legend of the Jersey Devil by Trinka Hakes Noble
My personal favorite, which is not listed here, is The Dark by Lemony Snicket. While not a Halloween book per se, it takes a look at the universal childhood fear of the dark. It’s just the right amount of spooky for little kids.
What’s your favorite Halloween book for children?